Mom Discovers That a Mirror Nearly Set Her Daughter’s Car Seat on Fire

They may seem safe but this video shows the real (albeit random) danger of using a car-seat mirror.

On the surface, it’s hard to find anything wrong with a car seat mirror. After all, it helps parents keep an eye on their kid without having to turn around or pull the car over every two minutes. However, one mom recently discovered an unexpected (and dangerous) drawback when she found the mirror nearly lit her daughter’s car seat on fire.

Amanda Kenny Deangelis posted a video of the fire on Facebook and in it, you can clearly see her daughter’s car seat producing smoke as the mirror burns a hole in it. According to Amanda, she began smelling smoke while driving with her daughter but couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. After making a two-second stop and pulling her daughter out the seat, it became clear that the sun’s reflection off the mirror was igniting the seat’s cushion like a Boy Scout trying to start a campfire. Fortunately, her daughter wasn’t harmed and Amanda snuffed out any potential flames.

The video has been viewed more than 10 million times since it was uploaded, with many parents expressing their disbelief that something so random could happen. Car seat mirrors are incredibly common and offer parents a safe way to check in on babies in the back seat. This video shows the potential danger, however, that could come from using one if you’re parked in the wrong spot or in the sun’s line of fire. Random, sure, but worth keeping in mind.