At least once in their childhood, a kid should get a chance to open a massive, humongous, gigantic, or merely very big gift during the holidays. Because waking up to a wrapped big toy feels like an epic and important moment. Kids will remember and reminisce about that huge Christmas present for years to come. But parents going for the wow factor don’t have to simply rely on bikes and dollhouses to give their kids a big-gift thrill.
Why settle for a regular ride-on toy when you could get this mini, functioning excavator? Kids will freak out about the 360-degree rotating seat and professional-looking levers. The five-wheel base gives it stability, and the fact that kids have to push themselves, as opposed to a motor, makes it safer for little kids.
No one needs a massive stuffed giraffe but damn, do we want one. This giant four foot tall one is a statement piece, like an Eames chair or a Chanel bag. It serves no purpose, other than looking entirely badass.
If llamas are more your speed, these fuzzy ones are the rare piece of statement decor that both kids and adults can agree on. The biggest one is two feet high, perfect for kids to hug.
Got kids who need to burn off some energy? (Don't we all?)This five-piece set provides plenty of surfaces to climb on, which can be arranged in a multitude of ways as your kid grows and requires more challenging materials. It might start out as a gentle slide, and end up functioning as a straight-up rock wall. And as something hand made out of birch wood, it's the furthest thing from an eye-sore your kid will probably ever own.
Nothing delivers the Christmas morning wow-factor like a dollhouse that's nicer than your actual house. This one is made from solid wood (hi, durability) and features 12 rooms, a functioning front door, a dramatic set of front steps, and several second-floor balconies. It's functional too, with its drawer for storing accessories and folding sides that allow it to be stored more compactly. Just note that it does require some assembly, and doesn't come with any furniture or people.
- COMPLETE WOODEN PLAY KITCHEN: The Melissa & Doug Wooden Chef’s Pretend Play Toy Kitchen includes oven, stove, microwave, sink, refrigerator with working “ice” dispenser, and freezer
- DURABLE PRETEND PLAY KITCHEN: The Melissa & Doug Chef’s Kitchen is a durable, wooden play kitchen with ample storage space for easy cleanup
- INNOVATIVE TOY KITCHEN FOR KIDS: The innovative ice maker dispenses two included "ice” cubes, dials turn, microwave plate spins; includes grocery checklist, movable hooks, and doors that open and close
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE: Our toy kitchen with “ice” cube dispenser is roomy enough for multiple kids to play at once. This kids play kitchen is ideal for kitchen accessory play sets, pretend food collections, and play pantry products
- GREAT GIFT FOR AGES 3 AND UP: The Wooden Chef’s Pretend Play Toy Kitchen makes a great gift for kids ages 3 and up. Add the Melissa & Doug Kitchen Accessories Set to round out the pretend play cooking experience
- ASSEMBLED DIMENSIONS: 39"H x 43.25"L x 15.5"W
- 100% HAPPINESS GUARANTEE: We design every toy to the highest-quality standards, and to nurture minds and hearts. If your child is not inspired, give us a call and we'll make it right. Our phone number is on every product
Take game night up a notch with this giant-sized classic. At four feet tall and four feet wide, and less stuffy than oversized lawn chess, this is one strategy game that both kids and adults can play. And given the massive scale it won't soon lose the wow factor any time soon.
This 6,020 piece Hogwarts castle has everything a fan would need to recreate the classic films. You'll find the Chamber of Secrets, the moving stairs and the great dining hall. Plus the set comes loaded with the full cast of principal characters, along with a dragon and a basilisk for good measure. Make sure you have a space to build this one because it's definitely a statement piece.
Sick of having your couch hijacked by fort building endeavors? This 32-piece set, with its heavy-duty cardboard panels and double-sided hook and loop connectors, allows kids to build the sturdy, expansive forts of their dreams that won't collapse on their heads with one wrong move.
When it comes to getting kids interested in chess, size goes a long way. The 17 by 25-inch pieces are surprisingly light, so kids can move them on their own. Their hollow center can be filled with gravel if you prefer to play outside and want to guard against the wind.
If you're looking for a passion project to sustain a music-loving, engineer minded kid for a few months, this Lego piano fits the bill. Once the 3,662-piece model is assembled, it becomes a functioning, playable piano. It's the kind of toy they'll end up not only displaying, but using again and again.
Every product on Fatherly is independently selected by our editors, writers, and experts. If you click a link on our site and buy something, we may earn an affiliate commission.