Expectant moms and dads spend more than a few hours trying to dream up the perfect baby girls’ name to carry their daughter through life. Finding a unique name for a baby girl is a joyful task, but a daunting one. How can you know which name is going to best suit her personality and serve her interests as she grows? Something very flowery and girly might be cute when she’s little, but not so much down the road. Pluck a baby name straight from pop culture or one that’s trending upward in popularity, and eventually it will feel staler than three-week old sourdough. Then, there’s the question of what, if anything, you want to carry forward from your own family — will you choose a family name that says something about your roots, or will you break tradition and choose something more unusual?
While we can’t help you make those decisions, we can provide some great inspirational baby girls’ names. We’ve compiled a list of baby girl names that are unusual enough that your child won’t share them with every other classmate, but also not, like, Mufaletta, Paprika, or Chalice. We’ve also included 13 baby girls’ names you should consider avoiding because, hey, it’s important. Happy picking.
The 101 Baby Girl Names to Consider…
13 Baby Girl Names to Avoid…
1. Alexa Avoid setting your child up for a lifetime of the popular Amazon device responding to their name.
2. Blue Just because Beyoncé kind of pulled it off doesn’t mean just anyone can.
3. Meghan A pretty name for sure, but soon to be everywhere, thanks to the formerly newest duchess.
4. Londyn If you love a place so much you’re going to name your kid after it, at least spell it right.
5. Merika While it could have been a fathomable name in another time and place, the introduction of this slang word into the American vocabulary makes this name intolerable.
6. North It was bad enough when Kim and Kanye did it.
7. Olga Doesn’t exactly bring to mind a sweet little baby, now, does it.
8. Anous No further comment.
9. Facebook Yep. Someone did it. Don’t follow in their footsteps.
10. Hashtag #No #JustNo
11. Abcd We can only imagine what these parents were thinking.
12. Bertha Come on. Don’t be cruel.
13. Ursula It just sounds … villainous.