Choosing baby girl names calls for a very delicate balance. Something too flowery and girly might be cute when she’s a baby, but go too far and she might not be taken seriously in the future. It’s fun to think about baby names, but the name you choose has to stick well past babyhood. Rosie Posy might suit an infant perfectly, but how will it look on a resume?
Then there’s the tension between choosing a baby girl name that’s new and original, and going with the one your great-great-grandma had; again, delicate balance. We’ve compiled a list of 101 baby girl names that aren’t so common that your child will share them with every other classmate, but that also aren’t, you know, Apple or Banjo. We’ve also included 13 names you should avoid. If you’re considering one of these names … accept our condolences.
The 101 Baby Girl Names to Consider…
And the 13 Baby Girl Names to Avoid…
1. Alexa Avoid setting your child up for a lifetime of the popular Amazon device responding to their name.
2. North It was bad enough when Kim and Kanye did it.
3. Meghan A pretty name for sure, but soon to be uber-common with the addition of the newest duchess.
4. Bertha Come on. Don’t be cruel.
5. Ursula It just sounds … villainous.
6. Blue Just because Beyoncé kind of pulled it off doesn’t mean just anyone can.
7. Olga Doesn’t exactly bring to mind a sweet little baby, now, does it.
8. Anous No further comment.
9. Facebook Yep. Someone did it. Don’t follow in their footsteps.
10. Hashtag #No #JustNo
11. Abcd We can only imagine what these parents were thinking.
12. Londyn If you love a place so much you’re going to name your kid after it, at least spell it right.
13. Merika While it could have been a fathomable name in another time and place, the introduction of this slang word into the American vocabulary makes this name intolerable.