Sure, there are plenty of razors for men: fancy electric buzzers that landscape your face, trimmers that tame and sculpt your beard, disposables that, well, get a job done. Rarely mentioned: the humble safety razor. The best safety razors will get you the closest and smoothest shave of your life while reducing skin irritation and razor burns and bumps.
In these days of escalating razor blade counts and subscription shaving companies, the allure of the old-fashioned safety razor has never looked better. Cheaper, simpler, and with the feeling of an American classic, you can get still get a remarkably close cut with technology that’s been around for decades. The safety razor’s strength lies in its in its simplicity: The reusable handle and head feature few moving parts, while the disposable blades slide in and out easily while costing pennies each, ensuring that you always have the best shave.
See more: Best Beard Trimmers
Now, a bit on beard basics. How you style your facial hair is a personal choice, says Genevieve Bochanty the director of brand experience at the Art of Shaving. “There’s a freedom that didn’t exist of every different kind of style. Every style is accepted. It’s all over the place.”
But if you’ve tried cartridge systems, you’ll be amazed with how despite small variations, all use the same blades and therefore give comparable, quality shaves. Still, there are differences, and our list can act as a guide for which safety razor is right for you.
The name pretty much says it all. This safety razor has an adjustable dual head with multiple aggression micro-settings, great for both normal and sensitive skin. Plus, if you want a good-looking display item, this is the razor for you.
- The quality and closeness of a barbershop shave in your own bathroom
- The safety, comfort, and convenience of a cartridge razor in one blade—minus all the irritation.
- Built using Tritan, an engineer-grade polymer, with a 304 stainless steel rod inserted into the handle core
- The best shave you’ll have in your entire life.
- Proudly made in the USA
This brass-handled safety razor is a work of art. It gives you a close shave by cutting cleanly at skin level, with no tugging, yanking, or pulling. And it is compatible with all standard double-edge razor blades. Just note that some users say it's a bit too heavy.
The Amazon customer-favorite safety razor by Weishi is a great place to start for beginners and for those who also plan on shaving hard-to-reach places like the back of the neck. This long-handled safety razor is also great for shower grooming and in other high-moisture locations.
- EXCELLENT COMFORT AND CONTROL - Have a comfortable and safe grip with its long-handle, designed for man-sized hands.
- DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR - This feature of the razor is very convenient and gives a quick, decent shave.
- HEAVYWEIGHT - Its weight of 4.2 ounces gives a solid feel in the hand and allows the razor to do most of the work.
- CHROME FINISH - It has a chrome finish, making the razor look sleek and simple.
- HIGH-QUALITY RAZOR - Merkur Futur provides men with quality grooming with this top-quality razor that gives a nice, clean shave.
Every product on Fatherly is independently selected by our editors, writers, and experts. If you click a link on our site and buy something, we may earn an affiliate commission.