Jonathan Sanchez’s No-Bake Blueberry Vegan Cheesecake Recipe Never Fails
This special occasion dessert takes some time to prepare but it's a delicious, plant-basked alternative to the traditional cheesecake.
A few years ago, Jonathan Sanchez and his family transitioned to a plant-based diet. It was a move of support: Sanchez’s wife has eczema and they discovered that dairy products were a contributing factor. Because sweets still have a place in plant-based diets, the father of two and co-founder of ParentPortfolio went searching for a non-dairy dessert the family could enjoy. He stumbled across the recipe for a blueberry “non-cheese” cake, which features soaked cashews instead of traditional cream cheese, has been modified and in his rotation ever since.
“The Dad Special” is a celebration of food, family, and fathers who cook. Featuring chefs, celebrities, and kitchen crazy dads, this collection highlights meals — from family secrets to quick kid delights — meant to honor time spent at the table.
Sanchez is often the special-occasion dessert maker in his household. But he says that he’s more regularly the “breakfast and lunch” dad, known for “pancakes in the morning and my pasta dishes during lunch.” Dinner is a big part of Sanchez family life. Everyone stops what they’re doing, and they all eat together. “Before every meal, we say a little prayer to say thanks for the food,” he says. “My son and daughter take turns on who leads the family prayer. Afterwards, my son always asks my wife and I ‘What was our favorite part of the day?’” If it’s being served, this cake is probably the answer.
Jonathan Sanchez’s No-Bake Blueberry Vegan Cheesecake Recipe
For the Crust
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cheesecake Layer
- 2 1/4 cup “overnight soaked” raw cashews
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 melted coconut oil
- 1/4 lime juice
- 1 cup blueberries
- Pulse all crust ingredients into a food processor
- Place all processed crust ingredients into a pan to create a crust
The Cheesecake Layer
- Soak raw cashews overnight and dry and rinse the next day
- Put soaked cashews into a food processor
- Add lime juice, 1/4 maple syrup, and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Then, blend again
- Add and blend melted coconut oil
- Pour the blend on top of the crust to create about 1/2 to 1 inch layer
- Place the pan in the freezer for 30 min.
The Blueberry Layer
- Add 1 cup of blueberries to the remaining “cheesecake” layer in the blender
- Blend the mixture until smooth
- You can add maple syrup if the blueberries are sour
- Spread the mix on top of the cheesecake layer and decorate with extra blueberries
- Cover the cake with foil and place in the freezer for about 3 hours to firm up
- Afterwards, move the cake to the fridge
This article was originally published on