As the Grillmaster for BBQ Guys, the Baton Rogue-based resource for all things barbecue, Randy Watson spends his days testing and tweaking recipes for everything from sauces and rubs to ribs and pork shoulders. He learned barbecue from his father, who took a more the merrier approach to grilling and regularly made meals for anyone who happened to drop by. That legacy is something Watson cherished. Today, food is his profession but it’s also his passion. And whether he’s grilling or making a lasagna, he loves cooking for and sharing food with his family.
Meal-time in the Watson household, which consists of Watson, his wife, and their two sons who are three-years-old and two months-old, is a phone-free chance for the family to connect. “We just take this time to come together as a family and stay up to date on what’s going on in each other’s lives,” he says. “That’s more important than ever in today’s world.”
“The Dad Special” is a celebration of food, family, and fathers who cook. Featuring chefs, celebrities, and kitchen crazy dads, this collection highlights meals — from family secrets to quick kid delights — meant to honor time spent at the table.
On weekends, the Watson family often has picnics, even if they take place only in the backyard. And yes, he loves to grill. But he’s also a fan of making big, slow-cooked family meals like this homemade lasagna recipe. Watson cooks it frequently and has streamlined the recipe to make a bit easier for families on the clock. The end result is still rich and hearty, pure comfort food. It makes for a great meal to sit down to at the end of the day to just unwind and enjoy one another’s company.
Randy Watson’s Homemade Lasagna Recipe
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 teaspoons. garlic powder
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoons oregano
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup filtered water
- 12 oz Cottage Cheese
- 16 oz mozzarella
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan
- 1 large egg
- In a large, shallow skillet, sauté beef and onion together until done. Drain fat.
- Return mixture to the same pan add the water, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings. Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat, then turn to low. Simmer for 30 min
- While sauce simmers, mix together egg, Parmesan, and cottage cheese.
- In a 9 x 13 baking dish, cover bottom with one cup of the sauce, then another layer of noodles, sauce, two cups of mozzarella, another layer of noodles, sauce, Parmesan mix, and sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove lasagna from oven and add two more cups of the mozzarella. Bake until the top is brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy.