Nutrition is top of mind for every meal John Shackleton makes his family. This isn’t surprising. As the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Villanova men’s basketball team, Shackleton spends his days making sure college athletes perform at the highest level. At home, Shackleton, who also trains NBA players and Olympic athletes, wants his boys — seven year old JD and five year old Tommy — to fuel themselves properly, too. That’s why this recipe for Chocolate Avocado Protein Pudding, which is simple to whip up and packed with protein and healthy fats,, makes regular appearances at the table.
“I love cooking and take great pride knowing that I’m giving my family healthy home cooked meals,” says Shackleton. Family meals at the Shackelton household — especially dinner — are a sacred event, where Shackleton values the time to disconnect from technology and catch up with his wife and kids. During the off-season the family eats dinner together every night. When there are games and practices and Shackleton is unable to be home, he preps healthy meals like these pudding bowls in advance. “I always have healthy options for them when I am away.” Unsurprisingly, this coach has a game plan.
Coach Shack’s Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- 3 avocados
- 3 bananas
- 6 tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
- 1 – 2 servings of Organifi chocolate plant-based protein powder (or other similar protein powder)
- 2 cups almond milk
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Use a spatula to remove the pudding from the blender. Distribute into small individual cups or one bowl.
- Place bowls in the refrigerator for one hour to chill before serving.