When he was a child, Chef Arturo-Franco Camacho — the Executive Chef of Geronimo Tequila Bar & Southwest Grill, Shell & Bones Oyster Bar and Grill, and Camacho Garage in New Haven and Fairfield, Connecticut — grew up enjoying breakfast tacos “using whatever we had left over in the pantry.” It was a family staple, one that he loved. When he had kids, he made sure it was something he continued.
This very simple breakfast taco recipe is a favorite of both his daughters. Chef Camacho preps the ingredients beforehand and then everyone fills their tortilla with whatever they like. It’s an obvious winner with kids because they can create what they want — and get their hands a little dirty. “I put all the different fillings out and everyone builds their own,” he says. “You can feed a big family this way.” But even if a build-your-own breakfast taco bar is not your idea of an easy morning and you go for the eat-what’s-in-front-of-you route, it’s a fun way to begin the day.
Chef Arturo-Franco Camacho’s Breakfast Taco Recipe
- 6 cups scrambled fresh eggs
- 6 cups fried potatoes
- 6 cups refried beans
- 6 cups spicy breakfast sausage (Chorizo) or 6 cups bacon
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas, heated
- 2 cups Queso Fresco, Fresh Cotija, Cheddar or Monterrey Jack
- Salsa of your choice
- Set out bowls containing the fillings, cheese, salsa and cilantro.
- Have each person build their own taco by placing their favorite fillings in the center of the tortilla and topping with cheese, salsa and little cilantro.
- Fold the taco and eat as it is. Or if you prefer, fold the filled tortilla and spread some butter on the top half of the folded tortilla and place under the broiler a few minutes to crisp the top a bit and melt the cheese inside.