Ziggy Marley’s Banana Muffin Recipe Should Be a Family Staple
Make a double batch. They'll go fast.
Cooking is important to Ziggy Marley. Food is more than just nourishment; it’s connection and love. When Fatherly spoke to him earlier this year about his new album, More Family Time, Ziggy was quick to mention how he’d recently introduced his preschool son to the powers of celery juice. In 2016, he published the Ziggy Marley and Family Cookbook, which catalogues some of his favorite meals made from whole, organic ingredients, and in it, the Grammy Award-winner, author, and activist describes how he would help make fresh juice for his dad. It was something he loved and which gave him great joy. He and his wife have the same joy when feeding their three children.
As soon as we asked Ziggy to share a recipe with us, he quickly offered us this banana muffin recipe. Also found in the Ziggy Marley and Family Cookbook, it’s a simple take on the classic pastry.
“The Dad Special” is a celebration of food, family, and fathers who cook. Featuring chefs, celebrities, and kitchen crazy dads, this collection highlights meals — from family secrets to quick kid delights — meant to honor time spent at the table.
Ziggy Marley’s Banana Muffin Recipe
- 1 large banana (or two small), very ripe
- 1 egg plus enough milk to make one cup liquid combined (coconut, rice, almond, or soy milks optional)
- 1⁄2 cup Ziggy Marley’s Coco’mon Coconut Oil or coconut oil of your preference
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 11⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- (Optional: nuts, banana slices, and chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Use an electric mixer on slow-to-medium until lumps are pretty well gone. Slather muffin pan with more coconut oil.
- Bake 10-15 minutes for smaller muffins or 15-25 minutes for larger muffins. Do a toothpick test for doneness. Enjoy!
This article was originally published on