Give us a little more information and we'll give you a lot more relevant content
Your child's birthday or due date
Girl Boy Not Sure
Add A Child
Remove A Child
I don't have kids
Thanks For Subscribing!
Oops! Something went wrong. Please contact support@fatherly.com.

Why This X-Ray Of A Grape Lodged In A Kid’s Throat Went Viral

Parent's stay sharp—grapes are about the same size as your child's airway.

Facebook

An X-ray image of a grape stuck in a 5-year-old’s airway is going viral after one mom shared the picture on her Facebook page. Morbid fascination aside, the image should serve as a wakeup call for parents who let their toddlers eat small foods—especially since a young child’s airway is about the same size as a whole grape.

Attention Parents!Do you know what this X-ray is of? A grape!A grape that was lodged in the top of a 5 year olds…

Posted by Finlee and Me on Tuesday, April 4, 2017

When it comes to food (which accounts for about half of all choking hazards in children) grapes are among the most dangerous, according to a study published in Archives of Disease in Childhood. The study was published after five separate incidents of kids choking on grapes were reported. Two of those incidents resulted in death. In the case of this particular image, the child in question was rushed to the emergency room and the grape was successfully removed.

But what about the Vitamin C?! And what about the fact that grapes remain magnificent and delicious, despite their body count? Don’t worry—all is not lost. And in the sage words of the mother who posted this image: “cut the damn grapes.” Other ways to avoid having your kid’s X-ray go viral include never leaving small children unattended while they’re eating, and insisting that even the most active toddlers take a seat during meal time.

Related Content

“This sweet soul had to be operated on, under general anesthetic to remove the grape,” the mother wrote. “He is VERY lucky that part of his airway was open or else this could have ended badly. So please be mindful that not all kids chew their food.”