As famed Japanese Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto once said, “a kitchen without a knife is not a kitchen.” He, of course, was not wrong. A good knife is the backbone of any good meal. Particularly important: a strong, durable chef’s knife, which helps with everything from dicing and scoring to smashing garlic and slicing pretty much anything. Every cook needs a chef’s knife; but a good chef’s knife doesn’t need to be a hand-forged masterpiece that costs hundreds or thousands of dollars. In fact, there are many good knives available that will not only get the job done, but can also stand the test of time. So whether you’re an aspiring Bobby Flay, or more of a home cook amateur looking to step up your kitchen game, these kitchen knives will help you out.
See more: Best Immersion Blenders
Best Kitchen Knives: 5 Blades to Considerlaser controlled edge that ensures you get an ideal cutting angle for sharpness and durability.
The brand's Classic Ikon collection is a favorite of chefs across the globe thanks to their versatility and elegant design. This knife, slightly on the bigger side, has superior blade control and the full-tang construction you want..
Each of these blades takes 42 days to manufacture. That time yields a blade made from VG-1 Japanese steel for sharpness and ultimate edge retention. It's an exceptionally sharp knife that never loses its edge and feels excellent in-hand.
- High-carbon, vanadium stainless steel blade takes a razor-sharp edge, holds it longer, 8-inch blade is easy to maneuver; full-tang construction provides strength, balance, and cutting control.
- Modeled after the traditional Japanese gyuto, this all-purpose kitchen knife is handcrafted and hand sharpened in Japan. This knife is a must-have tool in every kitchen.
- Wood handle is slightly contoured, enabling an easy chef’s grip; chop, slice, dice, peel, carve, mince and pare in comfort; ideal for culinary enthusiasts and beginners alike.
- Kanso’s Heritage Finish hide scratches and gives the knife a rustic and traditional look, while the wooden handle gives it a contemporary aesthetic.
- Kanso’s simple, minimalistic design makes it suitable for any kitchen décor; the Kanso Chef’s Knife will make preparing every meal, from breakfast to brunch to dinner easier and more enjoyable.
This is one of the most popular Western-inspired models available today, beloved by professionals and newbies alike. Thanks to MAC’s proprietary chrome-moly vanadium steel blade, the entire knife weighs just 6.6 ounces, making it extremely maneuverable. Fans praise the knife for its long-lasting blade and sheer usefulness for virtually any kitchen task. The company is so confident in their product that each knife comes with an impressive 25-year warranty against any defects in materials or workmanship.
Every product on Fatherly is independently selected by our editors, writers, and experts. If you click a link on our site and buy something, we may earn an affiliate commission.