Most nursing mothers invest in a high-quality, ultra-efficient electric breast pump to maximize milk production. But if she needs something portable, lightweight, and nearly silent, a manual breast pump is the way to go. These pumps are not meant for everyday use, but they are incredibly convenient when she’s on the go and needs to express — think of being on a long flight or in the park with the kids or stuck at the office. The best manual breast pumps are small in size, but large in output.
You want a manual breast pump that’s easy to put together, comfortable to use, simple to clean, and of course, that holds on to your milk without wasting a drop.
One of the simplest manual breast pumps on the market, the Haakaa attaches to your breast when you squeeze it. When you're done, you boil it to sterilize it. It's designed to fit every breast shape and size.
Slightly more complex is this manual breast pump from Lansinoh. Women use a handle to help express milk and pump directly into breastmilk storage bags. When done, you take the components apart and wash them.
This manual breast pump takes things one step further by giving moms straps so they can be more mobile while using it. The strap goes around the neck, the pumps attach to the breasts, and women self-adjust the suction force to their needs. You can wash it with a bottle brush, soap, and water.
- EASY AND CONVENIENT PUMPING: Harmony is a manual pump that has been designed for the occasional time when you’re away from your baby. Features a soft-touch, ergonomic swivel handle for enhanced comfort
- EASY TO USE: Manual controlled vacuum allows you to adjust the suction for the most optimal comfort level and efficient flow of breastmilk. Once milk starts to flow, you switch to the longer side of the handle which creates a slower sucking cycle to express the majority of your milk
- RESEARCH-BASED TECHNOLOGY: Unique to Medela breast pumps, this research-based and patented design allows mothers to pump more milk in less time. It resembles a baby’s natural nursing rhythm for improved comfort and efficiency.
- INCLUDES: (2) 5 oz/150 ml breastmilk bottles with lid, bottle stand, (1) valve and (2) membranes, instructions for use, and a breastfeeding information guide
- Founded in 1961, Medela has long been recognized as an expert advocate of breastfeeding through its development of innovative, research-based breastpump technology. As a result, is the #1 breast pump brand in America and the most recommended by doctors, chosen first by moms, and used most in hospitals*
For moms using Avent's popular baby bottles, this is a time-saving option. You don't need to lean forward when using the pump, which is a bonus in terms of comfort. Plus, you can pump directly into the corresponding bottles. When you're done, hand wash the parts.
Every product on Fatherly is independently selected by our editors, writers, and experts. If you click a link on our site and buy something, we may earn an affiliate commission.