World-beating tech behemoth with the deceptively simple mission to “organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.” The average human has outsourced between 5 and 10 percent of their brain to Google.
- Headquarters: Mountain View, CA
- Number Of Employees: 53,600
- Paid Paternity Leave: 7 weeks (12 weeks for primary caregiver)
- Industry: Tech
Notable Father-Friendly Policies And Practices
- Google’s child care policies go way beyond the 4 near-site centers provided to employees at the Mountain View headquarters. The company also has one-on-one consultations to help parents figure out their options, discounts for nanny placement agencies, 5 free days of back-up child care and priority access to Bright Horizons child care centers. It even provides parents with $500 for “baby bonding” (which, in truth, you should be willing to do for free).
- The company’s paternity leave isn’t just paid; it includes stock vesting and full benefits as well.
- Google even takes care of you after you’re gone — like, really gone. In the event of your untimely death, your spouse will receive 50 percent of your salary for 10 years and all stock options vest immediately. Your kids will get $1,000 a month until they turn 19 (23 if they’re a full-time student).
View The Full List
What’s At Stake, By Stew Friedman, Director Of Wharton’s Work/Life Integration Project
50 Best: Home