Before you had kids, vacations were something you’d take to relax and get away from it all. Now they’re the thing you take once a year to make you appreciate work a little more. Don’t worry — this totally improves in about 18 years, but in the meantime you can mitigate the chaos by doing your homework. Or, better yet, poaching millions of other people’s homework, thanks to Trip Advisor.
Every year the travel site scours millions of reviews in order to determine the best possible places to visit in a number of categories, including the best hotels, landmarks, islands, and beaches. The reigning champs of the 2016 Travelers’ Choice Awards may not be the most affordable or practical options for every family, but they are arguably the best and something to shoot for. Or better yet, something to leave the kids with the grandparents for.
- Best Landmark In The U.S.: Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, Washington DC
- Best Landmark In The World: Machu Picchu, Peru
- Best Beach In The U.S.: Clearwater Beach, Florida
- Best Beach In The World: Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
- Best Island In The U.S. And In The World: Maui, Hawaii
- Best Hotel In The U.S.: The Sherry-Netherland Hotel, New York
- Best Hotel In The World: Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, India
The 2016 rankings frustratingly did not repeat several categories from 2015, which had a few more family friendly options, including the best museum, amusement park, and all-inclusive resorts. Perhaps it’s because they still hold up.
- Best Restaurant In The U.S.: Bouley, New York
- Best Restaurant In The World: Martin Berasategui, Spain
- Best Destination On The Rise In The U.S.: Gatlinburg, Tennessee
- Best Destination On The Rise In The World: Tulum, Mexico
- Best Museum In The U.S. And In The World: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Best Amusement Park In The U.S. And World: Universal’s Islands of Adventure, Florida
- Best All-Inclusive Resort In The Caribbean: Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, Dominican Republic
- Best All-Inclusive Resort In The World: Kurumba Maldives, Maldives
Now, go forth and wanderlust.
[H/T] Trip Advisor
Want tips, tricks, and advice that you’ll actually use? Click here to sign up for our email.