The smaller, brighter Toys “R” Us is located in the Westfield Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus, New Jersey. The new location reflects a strategy that sacrifices space and selection for brand-based experiences in high traffic areas.
Customers who want a toy that’s not available in store can use touchscreens placed throughout the store to order it online from the Target-powered ToysRUs.com.
But not everything has changed, and the Toys “R” Us kid you used to be will be pleased to see Geoffrey the Giraffe featured prominently. There’s a massive plush Geoffrey greeting visitors to the new store, a Geoffrey-themed treehouse they can visit in the center, and Geoffrey’s Magical Mirror, where a 3D Geoffrey mimics kids’ movements.
View this post on Instagram
It’s almost time, New Jersey! We’ve partnered with b8ta…but now we need great former Toys“R”Us store employees like you to help lead the play in our new Toys“R”Us stores! Come by tomorrow, 10/17, and let’s see how we can make our new way to play the best experience ever! Link in bio!
But the bulk of the store’s square footage is dedicated to “playscapes,” experiences created by different brands.
- Hasbro has a dedicated, interactive Nerf shop and a curated selection of other toys from its expansive portfolio, including those from Star Wars and Frozen 2.
- There’s basically a mini-Lego store within the new store, complete with an interactive play table and life-size Lego models.
- The Melissa & Doug area has tons of their toys and live, out-of-the-box demonstrations.
- MGA Entertainment, the company behind L.O.L. Surprise dolls among others, is designing a window display. There will also be demos of musical toys from Little Tikes.
- The Nintendo playscape has interactive demos and a big-screen display showcasing the Switch and Switch Lite.
- Schleich makes a variety of playsets and figurines for open play experiences, and their playscape features an animal walk to teach kids about different animal habitats.
- Spin Master will feature a four-foot-tall Paw Patrol tower, a monster truck feature shop complete with life-size tire, and a hands-on Kinetic Sand experience.
- VTech’s area is dedicated to its toys and LeapFrog computers for kids.
There’s also a Play-A-Round Theater, an open event space with a rotating schedule of events including demonstrations, character meet-and-greets, and author appearances.
A second new Toys “R” Us location will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday, December 7, at The Galleria in Houston.