A hospital visit is rarely a good thing, especially for a parent who has to take their child into one for treatment. For the 12th year in a row, US News And World Report has compiled their list of the 82 best children’s hospitals in the country and has ranked Boston Children’s Hospital as number one for a second consecutive year.
US News compiled the list using a mixture of clinical and survey data from more than 3,000 physicians who specialize in pediatrics. Each hospital’s score depends on how it performs in the areas of clinical outcomes (effectively treating afflictions like cancer or successfully performing difficult surgeries), efficient coordination of care (complying with the best safety and medical practices), and providing sufficient care-related resources (outpatient programs for specific conditions).
The doctors who participated in the survey were given a massive list consisting of a variety of childhood afflictions that are difficult to treat and were asked to name 10 hospitals that they felt, by reputation, they would be most likely to suggest for high-quality care and treatment. Hospitals were also ranked based on the adequateness of the facility as well as its support staff.
While Boston Children’s Hospital took the top spot for another year, the list has changed a little bit from the 2017 rankings. For example, the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center rose one place to claim the number two spot, while the Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, D.C. jumped five spots from number 10 to number five. Check out the official rankings below.
1) Boston Children’s Hospital
2) Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
3) Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
4) Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston
5) Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
6) Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
7) Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
8) Johns Hopkins Children’s Center, Baltimore
9) Children’s Hospital Colorado, Aurora
10) Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago