This article has been updated.
On Wednesday, Mark Hamill has said that the “leaked” Star Wars: Episode IX poster that was circulated on the internet, is likely fake. Or, in his words, the art is the work of a UPA, or “Ultra Passionate Fan.” Many of us were fooled, but the Jedi master has spoken.
I'm pretty sure that's just the (wonderful) work of a passionate fan.
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) March 27, 2019
On Wednesday, the Star Wars fan-run site Making Star Wars posted leaked art for what they were calling a “retail” poster for Star Wars: Episode IX. This image does not contain the long-awaited title for that movie but also notably omits any depiction of the Skywalker twins — Leia Oranga and Luke Skywalker. Was this legit? We thought so, but Mark Hamill says, no.
— Jason Ward (@MakingStarWars) March 27, 2019
Still, though this leak looked kind of legit, it could still prove to be a promotional collage created for anything from a toy package to a cereal box. The point is, we’re not sure what this image is intended for or if it’s fan-created But there are several things about it that are odd or interesting about it.
- Kylo Ren is wearing his helmet, which, we saw him break into a million little pieces during a hissy fit in The Last Jedi. Other leaked images suggest the helmet is back, so that part isn’t necessarily fake.
- Rey’s lightsaber seems to be in one piece. (It was destroyed in The Last Jedi. That should have been a tip-off)
- On the upper right, we can see Naomi Ackie as “Jannah.” (She’s rumored to be Lando’s daughter. This seems real)
- The masked character behind Poe Dameron on the right is thought to be “Zorri.” This is probably who Kerri Russell is playing in the movie! This also seems real.
- The Knights of Ren are back, and seemingly, not in a flashback. No idea if this is legit.
- C-3PO is holding a weapon, that looks almost exactly like Chewbacca’s famous bowcaster. This, above all things, is what Mark Hamill is pointing to as proof this is a fake.
- New all-red Stormtroopers are revealed. The rumor here is they only report to Kylo Ren.
- The title is not revealed.
- And finally…Rose, Luke, Leia, and R2-D2 are all missing from the poster.
Jason Ward, who runs Making Star Wars has theorized, that this leaked art isn’t final. His theory — which makes sense — is this is an early concept piece which might not reflect what is actually happening in the movie. Unless Hamill is right, and the whole thing is fake.
From Disney and visionary director Tim Burton, the live-action adventure, Dumbo, expands on the beloved classic story where differences are celebrated, family is cherished, and dreams take flight. Dumbo soars home on Digital, Movies Anywhere, Blu-ray & 4K Ultra HD June 25
Right now, the first trailer and title-reveal for Star Wars: Episode IX are both expected in a few weeks at Star Wars Celebration, a convention that takes place from April 11- April 15 in Chicago. Back in 2017, the title for The Last Jedi dropped before the first trailer, but the trailer itself did debut at Star Wars Celebration.
Star Wars: Episode IX is out everywhere on December 20, 2019.