HBO just confirmed that a Game of Thrones reunion special is definitely in the works. The network revealed Wednesday that the special won’t air on HBO, but instead will be sold for the first time as a video box set, featuring the complete series of seasons one through eight.
Set to be released sometime in 2019 after the final season airs, there are very few details about which characters fans can expect to see in the reunion special, which will be hosted by Conan O’Brien. Besides the cast of season eight, who are said to be involved, season one actor Sean Bean (who plays Ned Stark) is the only confirmed participant.
Bean was the one who originally leaked the news of the special back in October, when he told The Hollywood Reporter, “[the network] decided to get all the characters together for a bit for this big show in Belfast and [Conan] kind of hosted the evening.”
There have also been rumors that Jason Mamoa, who fans know as Khal Drogo on the popular show, might make an appearance. He was spotted in Belfast, Ireland, where the special was shot, earlier this year but his involvement has yet to be confirmed.
So far, the recent announcement has been met with mixed reactions. While people are eagerly anticipating the new release, many aren’t happy with HBO’s decision not to air the reunion on the network. “What about the people who have bought all 7 seasons so far?” tweeted one viewer, while another agreed, saying, “I really don’t want to have to buy all the seasons again for it though.”
For now, though, fans will have to wait until April 2019, when the series returns for its eighth season and last six episodes, to get their Game of Thrones fix.