Give us a little more information and we'll give you a lot more relevant content
Your child's birthday or due date
Girl Boy Other Not Sure
Add A Child
Remove A Child
I don't have kids
Thanks For Subscribing!
Oops! Something went wrong. Please contact

This Mom is Warning Parents Against Letting Toddlers Eat Popcorn

Her son ended up in the hospital because of it.


You may want to think twice before giving popcorn to your kids, warns one mom after her toddler aspirated on the popular snack and nearly died.

In a Facebook post shared February 24, Nicole Johnson Goddard revealed the harrowing details of the incident which started during a Saturday family movie night.

“I didn’t think twice to give Nash popcorn,” the mom of three wrote. “Nash had [a] small choking episode but was fine. We didn’t see anything come out so we assumed he swallowed it. He seemed completely fine… The only thing we observed was a cough.”

The next day, Nash still had the cough but Goddard assumed it was just a standard cold. Until the following day, when not only had the cough worsened but her son was feverish and had “labored breathing.”

Goddard rushed Nash to the hospital where he was given a chest X-ray followed by a bronchoscopy.

“He had aspirated popcorn into his lungs when he choked,” Goddard explained. “The body recognized it as a foreign object and put puss pockets around it. All the inflammation caused him to develop pneumonia in his left lung.”

After two surgeries, doctors were able to remove all six pieces from Nash’s lungs, who Goddard says is recovering well. But she hopes her post, which has over 120,000 shares serves as a warning to other parents.

“If I wouldn’t have trusted my instinct and brought him in, the outcome wouldn’t have been good,” she wrote. “We’re so thankful our little man came out ok. All of this over popcorn which is eaten on a regular basis in our home.”

Now that I’ve had a chance to sit and reflect on a very unfortunate but eye opening event that our family encountered. I…

Posted by Nicole Johnson Goddard on Sunday, February 24, 2019

According to Goddard, doctors advised that popcorn shouldn’t be given to children under the age of five as its a choking hazard. A study by the New York Department of Health found that every five days, a child dies from choking in the U.S.