Give us a little more information and we'll give you a lot more relevant content
Your child's birthday or due date
Girl Boy Other Not Sure
Add A Child
Remove A Child
I don't have kids
Thanks For Subscribing!
Oops! Something went wrong. Please contact support@fatherly.com.

Mom Warns Parents About Magnetic Toys After Son Needs Emergency Surgery

"I feel guilty AF."

Jennifer White/Facebook

A Wisconsin mom has an urgent warning for other parents about the dangers of magnetic toys after her son swallowed 13 magnets. In a viral Facebook post on Wednesday, Jennifer White says the toys caused four-year-old Beck to lose part of his intestines and colon.

“Beck broke open a magnetic toy and has 13 tiny magnets in him,” wrote White. “I feel guilty AF and horrible posting this but I don’t want another child to go through this. If you have little ones or chewers these are dangerous and we’re removing them from our home.” She added that they can be dangerous for pets, too.

After her son started vomiting a dark color on Christmas Eve, White and Beck were rushed in an ambulance to Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee, where he underwent emergency surgery. The boy now has to stay at the hospital for at least three to four days, according to an update to White’s original post.

“[Beck] has finished with surgery they had to remove part of his colon, intestines and appendix,” the Appleton mom explained. “The magnets created holes and infection in his intestines… They need to restart his bowels and watching the infection. He is high risk still and please keep him in your thoughts and prayers thank you.”

Fatherly IQ
  1. How comfortable and prepared do you feeling speaking to your children about race and systemic racism?
    That's not a conversation I plan to have.
    I feel prepared. I will teach them that everyone is equal.
    I feel unprepared and uncomfortable, but plan to have the conversation.
    I feel prepared. I will teach them that inequality is a core American experience.
Thanks for the feedback!
Oops! Something went wrong. Please contact support@fatherly.com.

Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts ❤️ all the good vibes and juju are needed. We are headed to Children’s…

Posted by Jennifer White on Wednesday, December 26, 2018

White’s post, which has been shared over 325,000 times so far, also shows a photo of one of the magnets, along with a picture of Beck in the hospital. She hopes it will be a warning for other parents who might have similar toys.

“I don’t want another mother or father to go through this. It was such a simple toy,” White told Fox 6. “We had made sure that he was old enough, the age on the box, I chewed it myself… If you have them in your home make sure you know when they’re being played with, don’t let the kids have them by themselves.”