Give us a little more information and we'll give you a lot more relevant content
Your child's birthday or due date
Girl Boy Other Not Sure
Add A Child
Remove A Child
I don't have kids
Thanks For Subscribing!
Oops! Something went wrong. Please contact support@fatherly.com.

This Mom Says a Sippy Cup Sent Her to the Hospital

But the company says otherwise.

CBS 17/YouTube

An Idaho mom is warning other parents after she claims her child’s sippy cup exploded in her face. Dzevada Becirovic says the lithium battery in the Nuby 360° Insulated Light-up Wonder Cup blew up while she was pouring milk, leading to chemical burns.

“I was just standing right here, I grabbed milk out of the fridge — just regular milk, I went and poured it,” Becirovic described to KTVB. “Turned around to put the milk back, I turned around to grab the lid and I was about to put it on it and it blew.”

While the Boise mom says that the incident was “super scary” and that she “immediately couldn’t breathe – my lungs were on fire, my throat, I couldn’t stop coughing,” she also feels lucky that it was her, and not her one-year-old son Kaysen, who was hurt.

“It did a lot of damage and what that would have done in his hands, I don’t even want to imagine. I really don’t,” Becirovic told KTVB.

Fatherly IQ
  1. Are you and your family playing more board games in recent months?
    Not really We've always been a board game family.
    No, we don't really play board games.
    Yes, we play at least once a week.
    Yes, we play as often as we can.
Thanks for the feedback!
Oops! Something went wrong. Please contact support@fatherly.com.

An attorney for Luv n’ Care, the parent company of Nuby, told the news station that this is the first complaint they’ve received about the cup and that they don’t believe that the explosion was caused by a faulty product. However, they added that they will continue to investigate the explosion.

Despite the company’s claim that the cup won’t explode if “properly used,” Becirovic insists she didn’t put it in the microwave or dishwasher, and that the “powerful battery” is to blame.

“We do our best to protect our kids every day but something like that is just a freak accident or it could be something that’s preventable,” the mom of three explained to KTVB. “I just want to get the word out there, in case somebody has it, to just throw it away and get it away from your kids’ reach before it hurts them.”