At an appearance at a comic book convention in Russia last month, a Game of Thrones actor dropped a bombshell. Ian McElhinney, who played Ser Barristan Selmy, said that George R.R. Martin has already written the final two books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. The actor, whose character was killed off in season 5, said Martin “struck an agreement” with David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, the showrunners on the HBO series, not to release the next two books until after Game of Thrones leaves television.
Martin took to his blog to dispute the claim. In a post titled “Idiocy on the Internet,” Martin said that the story had gained “an improbable currency, and just chuckling at the insanity no longer suffices.”
He was unequivocal: “THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING are not finished. DREAM is not even begun; I am not going to start writing volume seven until I finish volume six.”
Martin goes on about the absurdity of the claim, pointing out that there are millions of dollars to be made by himself and his publisher once the new books are published. He also said that the symbiotic relationship between the books and the show — “The books help create interest in the show, just as the show creates interest in the books.” — also means delaying makes no sense.
“So… no, the books are not done. HBO did not ask me to delay them. Nor did David & Dan. There is no “deal” to hold back on the books. I assure you, HBO and David & Dan would both have been thrilled and delighted if THE WINDS OF WINTER had been delivered and published four or five years ago… and NO ONE would have been more delighted than me.”
So Thrones fans looking for more content after the series finale airs on Sunday will sadly not be able to pick up a new book in the series any time soon. All they can do is hope that instead of writing blog posts Martin focuses his writing energy on the next volumes in his series.