The parents of a five-year-old boy in Ohio found themselves in a living nightmare when their son started having a seizure after trick-or-treating on Sunday afternoon. But it gets even scarier—when they took him to the hospital, he tested positive for methamphetamine exposure.
“He was disoriented, he didn’t know who was who and where he was at,” mom Julia Pence explained in an interview with CNN. “You could tell at the hospital that he was real high from whatever he ingested. He was really wired and kind of aggressive, had different mood swings.”
According to the police report, the boy had eaten a few pieces of candy and also put a pair of fake vampire teeth in his mouth. While they have yet to determine which was the source of the drugs (both items are currently at the Mansfield Police Department for testing), the boy has fortunately since been discharged from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.
It isn’t the first time that tainted treats have made the news. But before you put the kabosh on tonight’s trick-or-treat adventures, remember that “this does not happen often,” as Galion Police Chief Brian Saterfield stated, reassuring parents that it’s a rare occurrence.
The chief added a few pointers for any concerned moms and dads heading out for Halloween: “Look for anything that looks out of place, if the candy bag is open or ripped, throw it away. Also, please check any non-candy items such as rings, bracelets, necklaces or fake teeth. If you suspect that anything has been tampered with, please contact [your local police] department by phone so that an officer can stop and collect the items.”
Even the boy’s mother, despite Sunday’s scary encounter, agrees: “You can’t protect [your children] from everything. You just have to be aware and do the best that you can.”