The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service has issued another recall, this time for almost 90,000 pounds of deli ham. Johnston County Hams, the company in question, agreed to take the products off the shelf after concerns arose regarding whether the slices were tainted with listeria or not.
Listeria is a bacteria commonly found in milk and certain livestock. Some of the more common symptoms include fever, muscle aches, headache, confusion, and convulsions. Not unlike salmonella sometimes listeria can cause, diarrhea and vomiting. Those most at risk for the virus include older adults, and pregnant women and their newborns.
So far, the contamination has made two people sick and been the cause of one death. All of the products included in the recall have the number “EST. M2646” as the USDA mark of inspection. Consumers are encouraged to check their products and throw away or return anything they suspect is infected. The products included in the recall were made by between April 3, 2017, and October 2, 2018. And, what’s unearnving about this particular recall is that many of the contaminated products have sell-by dates as far out as September 2019.
The full list of recalled products is as follows:
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped deli ham, labelled “Johnston County Hams, Inc. Country Style Fully Cooked Boneless Deli Ham.”
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped deli ham labelled “Old Fashioned Sugar Cured The Old Dominion Brand Hams Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham,” with sell-by dates ranging from April 10, 2018 to September 27, 2019.
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped deli ham labelled “Padow’s Hams & Deli Fully Cooked Country Ham Boneless Glazed with Brown Sugar.”
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped deli ham labelled “Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham Less Salt Distributed By: Valley Country Hams LLC,” with sell-by dates ranging from April 10, 2018 to September 27, 2019.
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped deli ham labelled “Goodnight Brothers Country Ham Boneless Fully Cooked.”