In the days following Thanksgiving, most college students home for break can be found on the couch, eating their parent’s food, and waiting for mom to finish their laundry (she likes doing it). But for 19-year-old Charlotte Heffelmire, she was too busy saving her entire family’s lives to do any lounging. Her father, Eric Heffelmire was working on his GMC truck when it fell off the jack, spilling gas and pinning him, before exploding into flames.
“I thought they’d be pulling out a dead body later in the evening,” he told WUSA News. But it was his daughter who pulled him out alive, after lifting the burning truck. Charlotte then got in the burning truck and drove it out of the garage (on 3 wheels), closed the garage to contain the fire, and put herself at risk in order to save her family’s home. Then she evacuated the rest of her family from the house, including her sister’s baby, because hero and aunt of the year go hand-in-hand. After calling 911, she then used a garden hose to keep the blaze from spreading to the house. That means it’s hers now, right?
Maybe the most amazing thing about Charlotte is how humble she remains about the event. Perhaps it’s the shock, but she just chalks it up to “crazy strength” in the moment — and likely, all the adrenaline. “I just did what I had to do, so I don’t feel like a big hero or anything,” Charlotte Heffelmire said. Well, her family and Fairfax Country Fire And Rescue beg to differ (along with anyone reading this). They honored Charlotte’s courage with the Citizen Lifesaving Award, and rightfully so. But judging from how she acts in crisis, they might want to offer her a job too.
[H/T] USA Today