Some parents in the UK are attempting to cure their children of autism, a condition for which there is no cure, by forcing them to drink a dangerous cocktail of chemicals. The prevailing notion among parents who do this is that autism is caused by parasites living within their children and that by forcing them to drink or take an enema of certain chemicals, specifically bleach, they can force the parasites out by inducing vomiting or severe diarrhea.
The Mirror reports that six different police forces have recently questioned parents for giving their children toxic cocktails. In England, roughly one in every one hundred kids is diagnosed with autism. In the US, the numbers are similar and autism rates have at least doubled since the year 2000. Some experts suggest that this could have to do with the unknown effects of people starting to have children later in life as well as the fact that doctors have become better and better at diagnosing autism early. Experts have also suggested a significant number of other triggers so it’s safe to say that it’s not a scientifically resolved issue. What is resolved, however, is that drinking poison doesn’t help.
In the UK, some parents are making this ‘cure’ for autism out to sound less like a dangerous and potentially fatal ingestion chemical’s and more like a detox supplement. On one Facebook group, parents with autistic children are claiming to have cured them with what “Master Mineral Solution.” The mineral cocktail of sodium chlorite mixed with citric acid powder isn’t a cure for anything at all. It’s very literally industrial strength bleach — the type of thing people shouldn’t leave on their clothes let alone where children might reach it.
Despite being outlawed in other parts of the world, MMS can be bought online for about $37.
Parents engaging in the practice still don’t seem to fully understand the ramifications of their appalling behavior. One mother said that children should receive 16 doses of the chemical every day for up to six months. Others reported an abatement of autistic hallmarks such as rocking, but experts believe this is out of fear of receiving treatments. UK authorities are still looking for ways to crack down on the practice, but doctors are warning that even if one treatment doesn’t kill a child, continued bleach ingestion can cause inflammation of the stomach, esophagus and intestine, leaving kids prone to fatal internal bleeding.