Choosing the perfect baby girl’s name is a high-stakes parenting decision — there are so many pretty and unique girls’ names out there, but which will be best for your daughter? Should you go with a memorably cute baby girl’s name? A classically beautiful baby girl’s name? These are all subjective, of course, but that’s what parents have to ponder as they try to imagine a future with one name or another for their baby girl — something very flowery and girly might be cute when she’s little, but not so much down the road. Pluck a baby name straight from pop culture or one that’s growing in popularity, and eventually, it will feel staler than three-week old sourdough. Then, there’s the question of what, if anything, you want to carry forward from your own family — will you choose a traditional family name that says something about your roots, or will you break tradition and choose an unusual baby girl’s name?
While we can’t help you make those decisions, we can provide some great inspirational baby girls’ names. We’ve compiled a list of baby girl names that are unusual enough that your child won’t share them with every other classmate, but also not, like, Mufaletta, Paprika, or Chalice. We’ve also included 13 baby girls’ names you should consider avoiding because, hey, it’s important. Happy picking.
The 101 Baby Girl Names to Consider…
13 Baby Girl Names to Avoid…
1. Alexa Avoid setting your child up for a lifetime of the popular Amazon device responding to their name.
2. North It was bad enough when Kim and Kanye did it.
3. Meghan A pretty name for sure, but soon to be everywhere, thanks to the newest duchess.
4. Bertha Come on. Don’t be cruel.
5. Ursula It just sounds … villainous.
6. Blue Just because Beyoncé kind of pulled it off doesn’t mean just anyone can.
7. Olga Doesn’t exactly bring to mind a sweet little baby, now, does it.
8. Anous No further comment.
9. Facebook Yep. Someone did it. Don’t follow in their footsteps.
10. Hashtag #No #JustNo
11. Abcd We can only imagine what these parents were thinking.
12. Londyn If you love a place so much you’re going to name your kid after it, at least spell it right.
13. Merika While it could have been a fathomable name in another time and place, the introduction of this slang word into the American vocabulary makes this name intolerable.