More Teens Are Learning About Sex From Pornography
They're Faking It

Your Kid Will See Porn, But That’s Not What You Should Be Worried About

Whether they’re 12 months or 12 years old, the chances of you eventually catching your kid with porn is pretty close to 100 percent. You can try to buck those odds (good luck), or you can follow the recommendation from a new study out of Middlesex University in England: Use that moment for a reality check.

Researchers surveyed over 1,000 British boys and girls between 11 and 16 years old and found that exposure to porn during that stretch increases steadily. Twenty eight percent of 11 and 12-year-olds reported exposure to porn, while 65 percent of 15 and 16-year-olds claimed to have seen it. In news possibly relevant to the other 35 percent, kids are really good at lying (seriously — in the U.S. the numbers are closer to 92 percent for boys and 62 percent for girls).

More Teens Are Learning About Sex From Pornography

Researchers found that exposure to porn didn’t lead to increased sexual activity among kids, but don’t exhale just yet: Over half of the boys and 39 percent of the females described the porn they saw as “realistic.” Unless you’re a cable repair man with a wife who really likes your work outfit, you probably find those stats a little troublesome.

So, unless you want your kid’s idea of healthy sexuality to involve screeching at unnaturally high registers and positions in which they could legitimately sprain a muscle, don’t shy away from the opportunity set your kid straight on the topic. Take it from the former Chief Content Officer at Playboy: It’s not that hard to do.

[H/T] Vocative

Read More