Special Projects Editor
Fatherly is looking for a Special Projects Editor to oversee special projects, including, but not limited to online features and tentpoles, newsletters, books, podcasts, and branded content. The candidate must be an experienced editor who can deliver high-quality journalism and has a knack for packaging. Ideal candidates are idea generators, think outside the scope of traditional publishing, and are dual audience editors who can balance brand needs with profitable ideas.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Special Projects: Fatherly is a fount of IP with books, newsletters, podcasts, and franchises that stem from the journalism and storytelling found on Fatherly.com. The Special Projects Editor will be tasked with developing new IP, executing on special projects, and taking a big picture view of our brand portfolio. A sample of current IP includes:
- Books: Fatherly launched one book To Me, He Was Just Dad in 2020 and is delivering the manuscript for the next this summer.
- Newsletters: Fatherly has piloted numerous newsletters including Homebodies and Breeder’s Digest. The Special Projects Editor will be tasked with overseeing pilots and pitching new newsletter ideas.
- Podcast: Riding on the success of Peabody-nominated Finding Fred, Fatherly has a number of irons in podcast fires.
- Tentpoles and Feature Packages: Throughout the year, Fatherly has a number of tentpoles including Coolest Dads, Car Awards, Best Toys, and Fatherly Votes. The Special Projects Editor will oversee existing packages and assess and expand these tentpoles as well as other special features.
Branded and Sponsored Content:
The Special Projects Editor will be tasked with working closely with Some Spider sales, marketing, and branded content studios to build and prospect new, saleable ideas for clients. The primary role of the Fatherly Editorial Director is to come in to brainstorms and help the branded team think big. Branded responsibilities include:
- Participating in big budget RFP meetings and coming up with ideas that balance client needs, audience wants, and company goals (of expanding IP, seeking earned media, and bringing in new business).
- Serving as the editorial lead in pitch meetings with clients to offer editorial perspective.
- Executing on built-if-sold editorial tentpoles.
Fatherly, a part of the Some Spider family alongside Scary Mommy, is the leading digital media brand for dads. Our mission is to empower men to raise great kids and lead more fulfilling adult lives. From original video series and deep dive reports to podcasts and events, Fatherly offers original reporting, expert parenting advice, and hard-won insights into a challenging, but profoundly rewarding stage of life.
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- PTO and family leave
- Retirement plans
- Monthly speaker series featuring business luminaries across the media, marketing and technology landscape
- Regular social events including Happy Hours