Launched in April 2015, Fatherly is the leading digital brand for young parents. In the last year and a half, Fatherly generated over a billion video views, was named one of Oprah’s favorite websites of 2016, and won the 2017 Webby Award for “Best Parenting Site on the Internet”. Fatherly is backed by BDMI, WPP, UTA, SoftTech VC, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, The Knight Foundation and prominent angels such as Gary Vaynerchuk and the founders of Bleacher Report, among others.
Fatherly’s first Play Editor will be charged with building out a sprawling section that will encompass entertainment, sports, and activities. The successful candidate will be comfortable assigning, writing and editing for a sophisticated audience and eager to talk to athletes and actors, cover Little League and primetime, and report on national parks and dog training trends. The Play Editor will think seriously about fun — how to have it, who to have it with — in the context of parenting, social issues, and web metrics. As this is a new role at a rapidly growing publication, it’s critical that the Play Editor be ready to work with a highly motivated team to develop a clear vision, capable of communicating ideas to others, and intensely interested in the details of execution, including management. Candidates should be able to demonstrate interest in relevant topics and have a rolodex of relevant contacts. Previous experience in the parenting space is not a prerequisite; the ability to self-start and think creatively about how to tell resonant stories absolutely is. The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of social media, growth strategies, and digital media best practices.
This is a full-time job with benefits. Qualified editors not based in New York will be considered, but priority will be given to those who can commute to our Tribeca office.
- Assigning, writing and editing articles.
- Breaking news and finding undercovered topics of interest to the Fatherly audience.
- Growing a section from the ground up by reacting to audience insights.
- Creating a network of relevant contacts to ensure access to relevant sources.
- Participating in strategic discussions about growth and brand.
- Managing a freelance budget and outside contributors.
- Minimum 4 years of experience at a digital publication
- Minimum 2 years of editing experience
- Familiarity with entertainment and sports franchises
- Knowledge of digital publishing tools
- An entrepreneurial mindset
- A desire to work closely with a team
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.