We’re looking for a Lead Developer to help us build the best digital parenting resource for this next generation anxiously raising little humans.
Who We Are:
- Launched in April 2015 by Simon Isaacs and Michael Rothman, one of the founding employees at the Thrillist Media Group, Fatherly is the fastest-growing parenting site on the web, targeting millennials and young Gen Xers who are entering the most inquisitive and acquisitive phase of their life. Fatherly already reaches 75 million people weekly on Facebook, 2.5 million monthly website uniques, and 250,000 daily email subscribers.
- Described by the New York Times as “Buzzfeed meets Vice” for parents, Fatherly focuses on expert-driven, evidenced-based content, with a pantheon of esteemed contributors that include: Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala and her dad, Melinda Gates, Former US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, & CTO of the United States Megan Smith.
- Fatherly has developed year-long partnerships with a variety of Fortune 500 marketers including Johnson & Johnson, Campbell’s, P&G, Progressive and The United Nations among others. Its Family Albums work with Spotify has been nominated by Digiday as the Best Branded Content Series of 2015-2016. Fatherly’s investors include Lerer Hippeau Ventures (Buzzfeed, Warby Parker), SoftTech (Bleacher Report), The Knight Foundation, Gary Vaynerchuk, and a dozen others.
- Fatherly was nominated for a Webby two times in just its first year as Best Parenting Site on the Internet and has been featured by hundreds of outlets across the country, including: Fortune, Business Insider, New York Times, USA Today, TODAY, Google, Insights, Bloomberg, Adweek, Digiday and PSFK. See more about Fatherly’s explosive 2016 here.
What You Will Do
After our first year focusing on building an audience and a thought-leading brand through high-quality content, we’re now laser-focused on finding a lead PHP developer who can help make Fatherly an addictive daily experience across web and social platforms. From the implementation of personalized content to improving push messaging to performance optimizations, your role will be improving our consumer experience at every turn.
Additionally, you will work with our business team to make Fatherly a best-in-class platform for connecting millennial parents to world-class marketers, whether it’s building a playlist generator for Spotify based on the name and birthdate of your kid, a Back to School Bot (“Bot To School”) that delivers awesome kid’s product recommendations or a national promotional platform that will help offer micro-grants to support inspiring parent-related projects.
You will be the first hire in what will quickly become a full technical product team so your desire to learn and grow should be commensurate with your talent and experience.
If you love creative problem solving, we want to learn more about how you’ve been successful in a collaborative environment. If you can easily pivot to meet changing business priorities and go with the flow, you will enjoy working here. Above all, if you are passionate about your work, then we want to work with you to build exciting digital experiences.
You’ll need to have:
- Experience actively developing plugins and custom themes for WordPress
- A strong product bent
- Capacity for broader strategic decision-making about how to structure our technical roadmap
- A track record of creating and maintaining production websites
- BA/BS in CS or equivalent experience
We’d love to see:
- Knowledge of different CSS frameworks
- Working knowledge or better with Node.js
- Experience with AWS
Please send us a résumé and highlight favorite examples of your work and contributions we can see via your personal site, Stack Overflow, GitHub, or the like. Show us the experiences you’ve created and helped develop.
To Apply: Email us at [email protected]
When submitting your CV for this position, please include a cover letter including why you think you’d be right for this role, highlighting specific matches to the talents we’re looking for. If you have a public presence on the web you’d like to highlight that you think is relevant or interesting, please include it as well.