Assistant Visual Designer / Photo Editor
About Fatherly: Fatherly is the leading digital media brand for dads. Our mission is to empower men to raise great kids and lead more fulfilling adult lives. From original video series and deep dive reports to podcasts and events, Fatherly offers original reporting, expert parenting advice, and hard-won insights into a challenging, but profoundly rewarding stage of life.
Overview: Fatherly’s Assistant Visual Designer/Assistant Photo Editor will be responsible for creating graphics and illustrative images with supervision from the Visuals Editor. The successful candidate will feel comfortable pitching visual solutions to abstract concepts both verbally and with rough sketches, and executing on approved design concepts quickly and independently.
Role and Responsibilities: Partner with visuals editor to develop visual concepts to communicate stories, often with variations in mind for social vs on-site use.
Generate graphics for on-site needs (such as banner ads, infographics, maps), based on art direction from Visuals Editor.
Qualifications & Skills
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop and Mac OS. Experience with InDesign, Illustrator, Sketch also helpful.
- Ability to take art direction and listen to constructive criticism.
- 1-3+ years of experience in graphic design
- Previous experience working in a digital, editorial or design environment.
- Proven ability to deliver creatively while adhering to brand guidelines
- Ability to present concepts and support rationale behind given design solutions
- Ability to respond to all communications effectively and in a timely manner
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and able to manage/execute multiple ongoing projects
- Preference will be given to candidates with some experience in both digital photo production and graphic design.
To apply, please send your resume, link to portfolio and a brief introductory cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Freelance Visual Designer – Name’.
We’re committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.