Fatherly, the leading digital lifestyle brand for young parents, has an immediate opening for a Features Editor. This candidate will have 5-10 years of editing and writing experience and will be responsible for editing a growing freelance roster that will scale Fatherly’s editorial offering across a variety of emerging and evergreen topics.
Who We Are
Fatherly is the fastest-growing parenting site on the web, targeting millennials and young Gen Xers who are entering the most inquisitive and acquisitive phase of their life. Described by the New York Times as “Buzzfeed meets Vice” for parents, Fatherly focuses on expert-driven, evidenced-based content, with a pantheon of esteemed contributors that include:
- Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala and her dad
- Melinda Gates
- Former US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
- CTO of the United States Megan Smith
Fatherly has been nominated for a Webby two times in just its first year as Best Parenting Site on the Internet.
Growth To Date
Launched in April 2015, Fatherly already reaches:
- 40M people weekly on Facebook
- 2.5M monthly uniques
- 250K daily subscribers (with consistent 20% month over month growth)
A Preferred Partner For The World’s Best Brands
Fatherly has developed year-long partnerships with a variety of Fortune 500 marketers including Johnson & Johnson, Campbell’s, P&G, Progressive and The United Nations among others. Its Family Albums work with Spotify has been nominated by Digiday as the Best Branded Content Series of 2015-2016.
A World-Class Team
Fatherly is led by Simon Isaacs and Michael Rothman, one of the founding employees at the Thrillist Media Group, now one of the largest digital publishers in the country. Fatherly’s investors include Lerer Hippeau Ventures (Buzzfeed, Warby Parker), SoftTech (Bleacher Report), The Knight Foundation, Gary Vaynerchuk and a dozen others.
Fatherly In The News
Fatherly has been featured by hundred of outlets across the country including:
- Develop articles that tackle emerging and evergreen topics that all young parents face, providing value at key, anxious moments in their life, through research, original writing and reporting.
- Manage a roster of freelancers who can help Fatherly scale its editorial output without diminishing quality.
- Compose short articles for young parents, guys in particular, targeted specifically to the age/stage of their kids.
- Contribute research and reporting for annual “State Of” features on key topics including education, family policy, and corporate work/life balance.
- Pitch and execute original editorial ideas for the site’s established feature franchises.
- Brainstorm one-off originals according to site editorial calendar.
- Build and publish articles in the site CMS.
- Write article heds and deks, optimizing for both social platforms and search.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of both editing and writing experience in a digital media organization, with a published body of work.
- Must be able to consistently produce clean, entertaining and informative copy.
- Must be professionally curious and able to write across a broad variety of topics, including health, relationships, science, products and gear, child development, education, children’s activities and finance.
- Dogged and creative research skills; determined reporting chops.
- High standards of accuracy and a passion for fact checking.
- Understand and maintain SEO and social media best practices.
- Fatherhood is not required, but an interest in kids and kids issues is.
[email protected] with a resume and up to 3 samples of relevant published work.