Audience Development Director
Fatherly, the leading digital lifestyle brand for young parents, seeks an Audience Development Director to add to our team. This candidate will have a minimum of 4 years of experience overseeing marketing and audience development functions and working closely with revenue operations at a growth-stage digital media company. The Audience Development Director will be a key part of the leadership team and will manage a team of 2-4. Prior management experience is required.
Who We Are:
- Launched in April 2015 by Simon Isaacs and Michael Rothman, one of the founding employees at the Thrillist Media Group, Fatherly is the fastest-growing parenting site on the web, targeting millennials and young Gen Xers who are entering the most inquisitive and acquisitive phase of their life. Fatherly already reaches 75 million people weekly on Facebook, 2.5 million monthly website uniques, and 250,000 daily email subscribers.
- Described by the New York Times as “Buzzfeed meets Vice” for parents, Fatherly focuses on expert-driven, evidenced-based content, with a pantheon of esteemed contributors that include: Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala and her dad, Melinda Gates, Former US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, & CTO of the United States Megan Smith.
- Fatherly has developed year-long partnerships with a variety of Fortune 500 marketers including Johnson & Johnson, Campbell’s, P&G, Progressive and The United Nations among others. Its Family Albums work with Spotify has been nominated by Digiday as the Best Branded Content Series of 2015-2016. Fatherly’s investors include Lerer Hippeau Ventures (Buzzfeed, Warby Parker), SoftTech (Bleacher Report), The Knight Foundation, Gary Vaynerchuk, and a dozen others.
- Fatherly was nominated for a Webby two times in just its first year as Best Parenting Site on the Internet and has been featured by hundreds of outlets across the country, including: Fortune, Business Insider, New York Times, USA Today, TODAY, Google, Insights, Bloomberg, Adweek, Digiday and PSFK. See more about Fatherly’s explosive 2016 here.
What you will do:
- Analytics, Research, & Reporting: You will oversee analytics (Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Parsely, among others) and ultimately manage an analytics person to aggressively optimize all of our activities and understand user behavior – infusing it into the organization. You will oversee the interpretation of data, developing actionable insights for product enhancements and content development. You will develop and maintain an audience growth model, and develop impactful, actionable reporting to inform daily and long-term decision-making.
- Content strategy: You will work closely with our editorial team, sharing insights and making content recommendations that will help to supercharge audience growth and engagement.
- Social media & Distributed Content: You will develop and implement a comprehensive social media strategy for distributing our content across platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, etc, and build audience engagement across platforms as well as leveraging the platforms to drive a diversified audience acquisition strategy on Fatherly.com. You will coordinate experiments to improve our social media best practices and manage the individual(s) who are managing our social media accounts. You will work on our video distribution strategy across platforms.
- Email: You will help us manage our email newsletter(s), aggressively identifying and implementing opportunities to grow its subscription base and optimize its performance, and keep a healthy and engaged list.
- Partnerships & Outreach: You will develop deals and maintain relationships with social and digital influencers, publishers, and platforms to drive additional content distribution and audience growth, including places like Flipboard, Google News, and Apple News. You will work closely with the CEO to evaluate & model business development opportunities.
- SEO: You will understand the basics of SEO and determine how to incorporate best practices into product development and editorial workflow.
- Paid Marketing: You will determine the most strategic and optimized use of a limited paid marketing budget and manage marketing programs in determined marketing channels.
- Revenue: Work closely with the revenue team on fulfilling their campaign requirements, especially across social media and work closely with programmatic revenue operations.
- Industry Knowledge: You will constantly evaluate new social/digital platforms, marketing services, and ad products, maintaining up-to-date knowledge of industry trends and developments.
Who You Are:
The Director of Audience Development should have extensive digital media experience and deep expertise in analyzing online consumer behavior and turning this data into actionable recommendations. The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
- A background in consumer-facing digital marketing, audience development, and analytics roles with experience in social media, email marketing, partnerships, SEO, and paid marketing, ideally at content-driven organizations.
- Prior management experience of at least one direct report or more for at least a year.
- Demonstrated track record of developing digital marketing programs that drive sustained audience growth.
- Intimate familiarity with Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube and a passion for social media.
- Familiarity with digital analytics and tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook Insights and Crowdtangle among other tools.
- Excellent analytical skills and strong Microsoft Excel skills.
- Ability to think critically and incorporate data and testing into your decision-making. Strong attention to detail.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – the ability to work closely with creative teams and to influence and train on digital marketing principles and best practices.
- Interested in growing a consumer brand at a growth-stage company.
- Entrepreneurial instincts and hands-on attitude. Eye for the big picture, but also an enjoyment of hands-on, day-to-day operations. Creative approach to problem-solving.
- Bachelor’s degree required
Email [email protected] with a resume and a short note about why you connect with Fatherly’s mission and why this is the right next move in your career.